Monday, August 8, 2011

Do You Stack Up challenge Pop of Colour

If you are looking for my Whimsical Wednesday DT 
for our 'Fun with Humour' challenge, click HERE!
 
The challenge at Do You Stack Up is 'Black with a pop of colour'. I was glad to see it, because I have been wanting to try this for a while... Yes. Another weird scrap experiment of mine... 
The kids were playing in the cubby covered in blankets with their glow sticks... It was one of those 'O-M-G-I-just-need-five-minutes-to-myself-HERE-have-these-and-amuse-yourself-for-at-least-three-minutes' kind of gift to them. 

It worked. Ten minutes and dishes done later, I awwwwed and had to take a photo.

So I found some glosticky kind of paper from an ancient DCWV stack.



It's been sitting in my scrap planner for so long with these photos, until I was sitting at my comp and saw this challenge... OOOOOOOOO that could work!

And my scrap supplies quivered in their little organiser containers... 

"Who's she gonna pick up? Eeeekkkk!!! Try to hide!" 

Poor Stazon. He did not like my request. 'Cover this entire piece of acrylic...'  Reluctantly, he inked over a piece of plastic sheet that I put on top of the glarey DCWV paper and etched out borders and lettering using my very annoyed cricut mini spatula.
By placing the photos underneath and letting the acrylic completely set with the Stazon, you can use Eucalyptus oil to remove the colour on top of the photo and create a window.  Great for boy-grunge looks!
Then I finished my layout. Surprisingly with a limited amount of black ink everywhere. It sure Stazon alright!

Thanks for a great challenge Do You Stack Up. 
I loved trying it out. I have effectively offended my cricut for not chirping, my Stazon for over-use and my spatula for misuse. Lucky they don't have lawyers! 

Plus, if anyone has ever used Eucalyptus oil, you know that it is the most pungent thing in the WORLD but brilliant for a whole range of things. So I doubt I will getting a cold or flu for 6 months, that acrylic is super-uber clean and there will be no insects in the house for about a week! Phewwwweee!


17 comments:

  1. Very fun...I so remember doing this kind of art when i was younger only it was not as cool with photos?? great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up and good luck.

    -Wenche

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chloe-this is amazing! I don't know how you come up with your ideas, but it always seems to be something so unusual that no one else could have possibly thought of it! At first glance, your layout really reminded me of something I did as a kid--you probably did too. Do you remember when you would color blobs of color on a piece of paper; you fill the whole page. Then you take a black crayon and completely cover over that. Then you create your picture by scratching off the black crayon to reveal your design. That's what you did, using different mediums. Excellent job!--Pat N.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, I'm speechless! You are fearless in your experimentation and the results are alwayS FABULOUS! You've totally captured the moment. WOW! I LOVE this! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super fun! First off, love glow sticks we seem to wear them more than we should, second OMG this lay-out is super unique and amazing! great work as always!

    Carri~abusybee
    www.doubleclickconnections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again, another amazing project. How do you think of these things. Well, I suppose the kids and the glowstick were the inspiration. Correct? I love hearing from people where they come up with ideas. Does it just pop into your head or do you see something and it gives you an idea. Maybe both? As I am sitting here right now my head is going a million miles a minute of how I can do something like this. Can you tell me what that oil stuff is? I have to say that your kids are very luck. They are going to have some amazing scrapbook pages to look back on when they get older!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chloe,AMAZING job with this BEAUTIFUL layout!That is just soooo COOL and AWESOME idea, FANTASTIC work as always my friend!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cool! Thanks for showing how you did this! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it Chloe! Far out, you are so good at thinking outside the square!!! Love it, it's awesome!! And thank God for glowsticks, I often have a stash ready for spontaneous fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. fantastic technique Chloe, really cool
    reminded me of something I did with oilcrayons ,put on the colours first, cover the whole sheet with black and use a sharp something to create the patterns, but this looks great too and you don't have any midgets around;-)
    great scraplayout TFS and
    Thanks for joining the DYSU challenge this week
    hugs
    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Chloe, this is AMAZING!! I love that technique you used - it is so creative and it turned out beautifully! FABULOUS layout!!

    Lisa
    http://indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, this technique is amazing! Your head must hurt from all of these awesome ideas you come up with! I know I sometimes get anxious with ideas and my kids won't allow me to get to my craft space. That is why I never sleep :) I must admit that I have used this same trick to get a few moments to myself too! What kid doesn't love glowsticks! I may need to use this technique soon! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great technique, love the look on the photos,thanks for joining the DYSU challenge this week,
    hugs,
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW, great layout. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow! what a great LO and the colours show up so well - this would also look really good with sparkles too...the boys look like they had lots of fun too :) A great technique :0

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a brilliant idea! I love it, Chloe. You are so creative and inspiring. I may just have to go offend my Staz-On and spatula to see what I can create. :-)

    Kelly
    http://kellyscraftylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete