Thursday, January 27, 2011

Frosted Designs Fabulous Friday Challenge.

When I read vellum I thought, NO WAY!!! But then,  I'm here for a Frosted Designs challenge... so I'm in. Luckily the words acrylic or transparency made it on the list too! This is a long post... grab a coffee, settle in!




So there I was at the post office with my new Ornamental Iron Cartridge! Raced home and I'd loaded a cricut pen as soon I made it through the door.
 I could sit for hours and watch that thing draw those beautiful gates and windows If I had the time...
and then I saw the acrylic challenge... and tested the cricut pen, but it wouldn't draw on the acetate... :( 
Not one to give up when faced with a challenge, I did the unspeakable... loaded a mini black sharpie in with a gelly pen holder... eeekkkkk!!!!!
It dried beautifully and then I used Slick Black Kindy Glitz to fill in the edges, so that when I painted it with alcohol ink, it would appear like a stain glass window.


 And that became the focus for my project. I have noticed a lot lately that people around me see barriers, have negative attitudes and are not thinking beyond what they see. 

I wanted to celebrate the fact I have an open mind, an inquisitive nature and do not get upset or affected by barriers in my way or ever see the bad side of things for too long.
The font is from Boys will be Boys. I tried out my Sizzix die for the first time and put little cutting marks on my sizzix plate!!! 

It was tough to do! I liked my mats neat for embossing... But the only die cut I own was perfect. 

It even has little fold lines for the wings. So I cut them out in acrylic and used Stazeon to ink. And i-rock for the eyes. 
 

I used the wood grain embossing folder for the door and a button for the handle. 






The font at the top is Gypsy font... (YAY! I have a new gypsy!) and my glorious window of course is my acrylic coloured with alcohol inks and blending solution.



For the insert in the next page, 'smile in my heart', I embossed the acrylic.

Ummm... just for a giggle I am going to show you my 'learning curve' page... the page I originally completed for this challenge and the exploration I did of alcohol inks on acrylic...
Not my finest hour!
But, just like the door, it has potential to become something better with more exploration.
I won't close that door just yet.

So I'll leave you with my layout(s)


And say thanks again to the ladies at Frosted Designs for a great challenge. You help make my scraproom a very interesting place to be! 





Happy Australia Day!


8 comments:

  1. Awesome Chloe, love that you always share stories and little parts of your personality with your gorgeous pages. Can you tell me what you mean by acrylic?? It looks like transparency or is it something else? Oh, and now I'm going to have to buy some cricut pens (and keep sharpies and gel grips handy too) for my new cricut!!! My bank balance has been seriously smashed - thanks to you!! haha. Thanks again, love it. xx Shannen

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are amazing! i love both of your LO's! thank you for the fun tutorial. i so need to use my cricut it's been collecting dust. and i really need to try to use alcohol inks. thanks again for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My Word! You took this challenge and ran with it! You rocked it girl!! I LOVE the way you made the stain glass window and I promise not to tell anyone you used a sharpie!! (but I did take note for myself so I remember how you did it!! lol!!) And... never thought of putting the transp. through an embossing machine but I love what it did!! Keep that positive attitude... it is working well for you and you are an inspiration to the rest of us!!
    Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. Looks fantastic Chloe, good thing I had a coffee when reading this. Can't wait to see it in person.

    You inspire me to be a more positive person and I am thankful to have you to show me the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WoW! That is some amazing work! Looks like you had a lot of fun! Projects are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW they are awesome cards!! LOve the girly one :D! Great idea

    Tori xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has shown me so many new uses for things I have in my craft room. I just had to become a follower, I just LOVE your blog name too and how you incorporated your boys into it.
    Hugs
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing work, Chloe! Love the sentiments, too! xxD

    ReplyDelete