Wednesday, January 19, 2011

How To Make Roses For Valentines!

I originally found this idea on Tereesa's blog Up late 2 Create but I couldn't find the original post for you to see. However visit Tereesa here for more of her amazing work. 

Yesterday I featured a sweet treat and here's how I made it!  





For a basic flower, you will need:
*one skewer
*two pieces of red paper (80gsm) (Not thick card)
*either cloth tape or florist tape 
(one roll is enough for about 30 flowers)
*two fake leaves
*quick drying glue
*sticky tape


You need a six petaled flower. 

New Arrivals : Happy face flower with shadow (no shift)
Accent Essentials: Accent 24 with shift.
Plantin Schoolbook: Flower with Shadow function.
Or 
Surecuts a lot: Have a look through your fonts at the asterisks and find one that is fairly rounded.
  
 Change the Style to shadow/rounded if you need to in order to get the centre of the flower solid. 

For each flower you make will cut 3 flower shapes.
Chirp Chirp!
 In one flower just make a cut to the centre, in the second flower, cut out one petal and in the last flower, cut out two petals (keep them though!)
You do not need the single petal.





Where the cuts are, place a small amount of glue on the inside edge of the petal, fold over so that the adjoining petal is sitting on top of the glued petal.
\
snip the ends off all the flowers.






Now put the smallest one on the end of your finger, add a rim of glue, thread on each flower, adding a rim of glue to the base as you go. 
Let the flower dry upside down.

While you are waiting you can get your skewer ready. 
For an extra special effect, I open a large rhinestone brad and tape the metal feet around the edge so that when you place the skewer in, there is a gem in the centre.




Thread the flower onto the stick to the top and the brad will hold it. 
On the underside, tape or glue the base of the flower to the stick.


Tape on fake leaves in the right spot, then use cloth tape, or florist tape to wind up the whole flower down the stem.

 Use a skewer to curl the petals outwards and down.





Finished! 

For a something little extra:
Spray Glitter spray (or fixative and sprinkle glitter over) 
Gloss Spray makes the whole flower shine!
Add a few drops of glossy to make it look like water drops
Use a flower rhinestones
Instead of a brad, wrap a Ferrero Rocher or chocolate ball in cellophane and tape it to stick prior to threading and wrapping.
Make a bunch, add baby breath wrap in a florist paper, spray your favourite perfume, write sentiments on the petals.

Have fun! 

I have a bunch on my table and every few days I spray a different perfume on them. No watering! 

If you do manage to make something with this post, please come and let me know I'll be glad to post a link to your blog so that we can all see one idea bloom into many unique possibilities!   


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the class Chloe, and for the link to Thereasa.. it is 16th April, the original instructions.. hers slightly different, its cool how things evolve... Hope the rest of your day was wonderful xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chloe - thanks for your kind comments on my blog and for voting for me!
    I don;t have a cricut - but this is a GREAT looking tutorial. Excellent pics and well explained. Am now a follower!
    Lowri :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chloe, I love that flower, it is beautiful!! I saw you were just on my blog, and I don;t know if you scrolled all the way down or not, but I have something for you on my blog, scroll all the way down past the cakes! Thanks again for sharing this idea, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I want a dozen of the chocolate centered ones. xxD

    ReplyDelete